This article will outline how to import a parent asset, and its respective child and grand child assets, making the building of your asset hierarchy that bit quicker and easier.
1. Prepare the assets in Excel and save as CSV format. The 1st line contains the parent asset, subsequent assets are considered child and grand child assets. The concept is that the Location Code and Location Name for a child asset need to be the Asset Code and Asset Name of its respective parent asset. You can think of this as a child asset being located within its parent.
As you can see from the example above, going down a tree level to grand child assets (last two rows on the spreadsheet) the same principle follows. For grand children assets, their location code and location name become the asset code and asset name of the child asset.
Important Note: The first column above (Asset Code) was indented for visual aid purposes only. This was to better show the parent/child/grandchild hierarchy. When importing your CSV file into the CMMS, however, ensure that there is no indentation in the first column, as in the screenshot below.
2. To begin the import, save your CSV file, then navigate to the Assets menu and click Import.
3. Click on Upload, locate the Import file, and click Continue.
4. Map the respective fields of the CSV file to the CMMS fields. Click Continue when finished.
5. Review the Import Summary, address any errors, and click on Import.
6. The import results are now displayed. Select Done to check the result.
7. As can be seen below, the parent, child, and grand child hierarchy followed that of the CSV file above.